Friday, April 1, 2016

I am the epitome of “two cultures”. Throughout my life, I have unknowingly been put into the classification of two cultures. However, more recently, I am voluntarily immersing myself into the two cultures while attempting to become a part of the third culture.

I am Mexican and was adopted. I was not adopted into a Mexican family. I have two Caucasian parents and a multiethnic sibling. Growing up, I was divided between two worlds. I felt as though I was having an identity crisis because I was confused as to which traditions I should be participating in, why I did not speak Spanish, and much more.  I am a part of two cultures that are on different ends of the spectrum; however, I have found a way to successfully merge them.

My passion has always been art but the new digital revolution greatly intrigued me. However, I did not believe that technology played as significant of a role in society as it actually does. I was lucky enough to explore my interest with an internship that exposed me to making my art pieces on digital fabrication machines. I worked with 3-Dimensional printers and laser cutters. One of the reasons I choose to attend UCLA is because of the Design | Media Arts program that pushes the boundaries of artwork by collaborating art, technology, and science. DESMA has showed me that the 3rd culture is technology because of its ability to collaborate, innovate, and express. Recently, I have started working in the Science department at UCLA. Steve Pinker believes that two cultures are enhanced by the opposite culture. I have noticed how science interacts with and depends on art and vice versa. New research is continuously emerging in the science department. With the help of art, the science department is able to translate their two-dimensional findings into interactive and contextualized pieces that can be examined and visualized. Science is enhanced by art by pushing the boundaries in its creativity. Similarly, some of the most interesting art pieces have science as their subject matter. The Science department at UCLA is a perfect example of how STEM has evolved into STEAM.



Although, the gap between science and art is slowly closing, I still feel as though the gap is large. Technology can only help to enhance creativity and should continue to be explored. Culture should not be simply divided into science and art.






Bibliography: 
1. Jones, Lee. artandsciencejournal. Art And Science Journal, n.d. Web. <http://www.artandsciencejournal.com>
2. Kelly, Kevin. "The Third Culture." Science Mag, February 13 1998. Web. 
<http://science.sciencemag.org/content/279/5353/992> 
3. Snow, C. P. “Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution.” Reading. 1959. New York: Cambridge UP, 1961. Print.
4. Patricelli, Kathryn. "Long-Term Issues For The Adopted Child". AMHC, n.d. Web
<http://www.amhc.org/11-adoption/article/11455-long-term-issues-for-the-adopted-child>
5. "Steven Pinker." Two Cultures. N.p., n.d. Web
<http://seedmagazine.com/twocultures/stc_steven-pinker.html>
6. Vesna, Victoria. “Toward a Third Culture: Being in Between.” Leonardo 34.2 (2001): 121-25. Web.

2 comments:

  1. I never thought of technology as the third culture! That is a really interesting view point. I definitely agree that it allows for the two cultures to intermix and makes it easier for ideas to spread throughout both cultures while enhancing each side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's very interesting that you have shared your experience of two culture, not just art and science, but also Mexican and Caucasian. I wish you have shared more about how you have successfully merged Mexican and Caucasian culture together. And I definitely agree with you on how art has helped science by enhancing its creativity. And I really like the pictures you put on your blog! They're the perfect examples of how art and technology can be combined and make great stuff!

    ReplyDelete